By Pritha Banerjee, L&T MHPS
Cricket World Cup is the most exciting tournament,loved and adored by cricket fans than other cricket tournaments like Asia cup or Inter-nation cricket series. ICC World Cup is organized in every 4 years to maintain the curiousness among people for this game.
The 12th edition of the One-Day International World Cup has begun on May 30. This is for the fifth time, The tournament is being held in England. This year, 10 teams are participating in the game. They will take on each other in a round-robin format. The same system was last followed in 1992. The top scoring four teams will play the semi-finals before the final clash deciding the champions at the Home of Cricket, Lord’s, on 14 July, 2019.
For the Cricket lovers, here’s a quick quiz to test your World Cup Tournament knowledge.
Hey, Do not Google. Good luck! Happy quizzing!
The ICC World Cup 2019 Trophy
The ICC World Cup 2019 Trophy :2 feet in height,the trophy is made from silver and gold, in it contains a golden globe which is held up by three silver columns and the total weight of the trophy shall be accounting to 11 kilograms in total.
1. Who has taken the most wickets by consecutive balls in Cricket World Cup matches?
- A. Lasith Malinga
- B. Shane Warne
- C. Kemar Roach
- D. Anil Kumble
2. Who has the highest individual score in a World Cup match?
- A. Gary Kirsten
- B. Sachin Tendulkar
- C. Saeed Anwar
- D. Mathew Hayden
3. The World Cup has been previously held four times in England – 1975, 1979, 1983 and 1999. Which among the following grounds has hosted the most number of World Cup matches?
- A. Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester
- B. Lord’s, London
- C. Headingley, Leeds
- D. Kennington Oval, London
4. Which World Cup saw the most number of centuries scored at one edition (38 from the 48 matches)?
- A. 1983
- B. 1992
- C. 1979
- D. 2015
The first ever century in a World Cup match was scored by Dennis Amis (against India in the inaugural game of the tournament when Sunil Gavaskar played one of the bizarre knocks ever.)
5. Against Pakistan in 2003, Sachin Tendulkar was lucky to be dropped early in his innings. He went on to score 98 in India’s victory. Who was the unfortunate fielder?
- A. Taufeeq Umer
- B. Abdul Razzaq
- C. Mohammad Yousuf
- D. Waqar Younis
6. Virat Kohli and Yuvraj Singh share what unique distinction for India when it comes to World Cups?
- A. Most catches by a non wicket-keeper in a World Cup match
- B. Been part of winning campaigns at the senior and Under-19 World Cups
- C. Most Man-of-the-Match prizes won in a single edition
- D. Most Runs scored by an individual
7. Who finished as India’s leading wicket-taker in the 1983 World Cup?
- A. Roger Binny
- B. Madan Lal
- C. Kapil Dev
- D. Balwinder Sandhu
India at the cricket World Cup: Champions in 1983 and 2011, runners-up in 2003.
The 1983 Winning ‘Team India’
8. The first matches of the first World Cup took place on June 7, 1975. On this day which batsman scored 171 not out?
- A. Glen Turner (NZ)
- B. Dennis Amiss (ENG)
- C. Roy Fredericks (WI)
- D. Majid Khan (PAK)
During 1975-99: Steve Waugh played in 35 matches – maximum by an individual.
Following him are: Javed Miandad’s 33. Arjuna Ranatunga clocked up 30, and Imran Kahn 28.
9. The 1987 World Cup witnessed the first hat-trick during a World Cup game. Who was the bowler who achieved this feat?
- A. Chetan Sharma (India)
- B. Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka)
- C. Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan)
- D. Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka)
10. At the 1996 World Cup what was most unusual about the semi-final between Sri Lanka and India held at Eden Gardens, Kolkata?
- A. Match was awarded to Sri Lanka by default
- B. Sri Lanka won by 131 runs
- C. Played in front of an empty stadium
- D. The two central umpires were from Sri Lanka and India
11. Which batsman scored four consecutive centuries in the 2015 World Cup tournament?
- A. Martin Guptill (NZ)
- B. Shikhar Dhawan (IND
- C. Tillakarante Dilshan (IND)
- D. Kumar Sangakkara (SRI)
At the 2011 World Cup: First time in World Cup history that two Asian teams appeared in the final. First time since 1992 that Australia was not in the final. It was India’s second World Cup victory. India won the final beating Sri Lanka by 6 wickets with 10 balls remaining.
12. What are the amazing facts about 2019 ICC World Cup?
- A. Round-Robin format of tournament
- B. 100 days Trophy Tour
- C. Zimbabwe Team to miss their World cup 2019 first time
- D. All Of these
The ICC World Cup 2019 Squad
2019 World Cup brings amazing prize amount to the winning team, around USD 4 Million. It is the highest amount to be won by any team in any World Cup till date. The runner up will get the prize money of USD 2 Million which is also a good amount even after losing the cup.
- 1. A
- 2. A
- 3. C
- 4. D
- 5. B
- 6. B
- 7. A
- 8. A
- 9. A
- 10. A
- 11. D
- 12. D